Fight for an Ecosocialist Green New Deal!
#EcoSocialistGND #EcoSocialism #GreenNewDeal
Guiding Principle #5 for an Ecosocialist Green New Deal:
Reinvent our communities to serve people and planet, not profit
All over the country, people are being inspired by the protests and actions to defund or abolish the police all together. All one has to do is look at a city’s budget to discover what sort of priorities their elected officials (and their wealthy donors) have set for our communities. The 2020 City of Las Vegas Budget allotted $173.7 million for police, accounting for 28% of the total budget. This is 2.3x bigger than the budgeted amounts for Culture & Recreation, Public Works, Economic Development/Assistance, and Health COMBINED. [source]
It’s clear that we need to change these priorities and start reinventing our communities to serve people and the planet.
We are asking you to reach out to local public officials and candidates and tell them we need to change our priorities!
- You can look up who your representatives in Congress are here. There, you will also be linked to their Twitter handles, phone numbers, and official websites with further contact information.
- Below, you will find scripts for phone calls, tweets, or letters to send to your reps to put pressure on them to meet our demands.
If you aren’t sure what to say, you can use the script below when you call or leave a message: (this script could also be easily tweaked for a letter or email to be sent to the rep!)
- Hello, My name is [name] & I live in [city or neighborhood].
- I am calling because I am very concerned about the bloated military budget that seems to continually grow each year with bipartisan approval in Congress.
- The US spends close to $700 billion each year on the military, which is more than the next eight countries combined.
- Considering the immediate danger being posed to the planet by climate change, this is a dangerous set of priorities that must be changed.
- I demand that this betrayal and negligence be corrected moving forward. Billions of dollars need to be cut and reallocated to legislation and programs that will help fight climate change and start reinventing our communities to serve people and the planet, rather than empire and profit.
- Can I count on [your representative] to do the right thing?
Once you have contacted the rep, please record your response here.
- Not a single congressperson from Nevada has voiced any support for the Green New Deal resolutions in Congress. We demand our leaders step up and fight for a Green New Deal that upholds the ecosocialist guiding principles crafted by @DSA_Enviro.
- Not a single congressperson from Nevada has voiced any support for the Green New Deal resolutions in Congress. NV members of Congress: Where are you on climate?! @RepSusieLee @repdinatitus @RepHorsford @SenCortezMasto @SenJackyRosen #GreenNewDeal #Ecosocialism
- The 2020 City of Las Vegas Budget allotted $173.7 million for police, 28% of the total budget. This is 2.3x bigger than the amounts for Culture & Recreation, Public Works, Economic Development/Assistance, & Health COMBINED. We need new priorities. #DefundThePolice #GreenNewDeal
- .@SenJackyRosen says we need to tackle climate change with a “measured” response. Back in 2018, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said we have 12 years to act. We must meet a radical threat with radical action. We need an Ecosocialist GND. https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/rosen-wont-commit-to-vote-for-green-new-deal-is-coordinating-with-sisolak-on-response-to-plutonium-shipments
- .@SenCortezMasto, you gave a nice speech about climate change a year ago…Right before you voted “present” on S. Res. 59 to support a Green New Deal. Back in 2018, the IPCC said we have 12 years to act. We must meet a radical threat w/ radical action. We need an Ecosocialist GND
- .@RepHorsford you said @RepAOC’s Green New Deal “aligns to my thinking.” Back in 2018, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said we have 12 years to act. We must meet a radical threat with radical action. We need an Ecosocialist GND. #GreenNewDeal #ecosocialism
- .@repdinatitus As a co-sponsor of #MedicareForAll, you understand that massive, life-threatening problems require solutions that match the scale and seriousness of those problems. That is why we need your leadership to help make a Green New Deal happen. Help!! #GreenNewDeal
Want to do more?
Join DSA today to become a member and become more involved in the things that are impacting your community directly! → dsausa.org/join