Agenda (All times are approximate)
|7:10||Know Your Rights Training – Erika B.|
|7:25||Call to Order
|7:35||Legislative Priority Resolution|
|7:50||Steering Committee Special Election
|8:00||Priority Campaign Updates
|8:10||Other upcoming Events (links to registrations on next page)
|8:20||Open Comment Period|
Upcoming Meetings: See LVDSA’s full events page here
Member Social: ReBAR
Saturday, Jan 7th @ 7:00 PM → More info here
Communications Working Group Session
Sunday, Jan 8th @ 4:00 PM → Register here
New Member Orientation
Thursday, Jan 12th @ 7:00 PM → Register here
Abolitionist & Community Safety Reading Group
Begins Tuesday, Jan 17th @ 7:00 PM → Readings and Registration Link here
Lapsed Member phone bank
Wednesday, Jan 25th @ 6:00 PM → Register here
Socialist Night School: Ecosocialism
Thursday, Jan 26th @ 7:00pm → Register here
Member Social: Board Game Night
Saturday, Jan 28th @ 6:00 PM → More info & pre-registration here
Sunday, Jan 29th @ 10:00 AM -12:00 PM → Registration and address provided here
Want to help your local chapter?
You can also donate to our chapter’s efforts! If you’d like to donate to a specific fund, such as our mutual aid fund, please put a note of this when you donate. Otherwise, the money will go directly to our chapter general fund. Due to our status as a 501c4 nonprofit organization, these donations are not tax deductible. Donate here.
Haven’t made the plunge to officially join DSA?
Dive in and join us today! Things are scary right now, but DSA member solidarity brings so much hope. We will get through this together. And we understand that you may be experiencing financial problems right now. Your ability to pay dues should not impact your membership. What’s most important is that you’re organizing with DSA — we need each other now more than ever.
Chair: Kara H.
Secretary: Roy Z.
- Intro + welcome
- KYR training done by member Erika B
- Meeting business called to order at 7:31
- Agenda adopted by unanimous consent
- Sean Y motions to adopt minutes from December GBM, many vocally second. Adopted by unanimous consent.
- Aimee gives treasurer report; highlights holiday solidarity donations and expenditures, plus unexpected storage cost increase
- Kara introduces the new Priority Campaign resolution authored by Valerie T. Lorenzita briefs the chapter with a quick overview and summary of the legislative session, the schedule, and how it works
- Valerie T motivates for the resolution. Gives us a recruitment tool, plus a lobbying arm for Childcare legislation, immigrants issues, and grad student unions. Our own lobbying efforts allows us to lobby with any messaging we choose free from donor’s demands and limits.
- Carlos T (graduate student worker at UNLV) brings to attention a piece of legislation that will affect budgets for graduate students workers, and how it might affect their unions efforts and actions.
- Kara adds that the SocFem section has efforts ongoing that could coincide with the legislative priority – a slate a potential pro-abortion bills that could work with this new resolution, if it passes. Opens stack for questions/comments/issues/concerns
- Anthony asks if the authors are willing to be stewards.
- Valerie and Carlos willing to be stewards
- Rachel E – Q: is this an open ended campaign, or specifically targeting the increase in budget bill?
- Kara opens to for/against resolution
- Samantha F: in favor, the time is right and the budget fight for the GAs and abortion campaigns
- Shaun N: in favor,
- Jovan J: in favor, this is a great way to put your passion and activist voice – for whatever your passion is, there is a bill up north that will have an effect on that issue
- Anthony announces a special election for February GBM, shares nomination form + candidate town hall if more than one candidate. Nomination form: http://bit.ly/3Qdwtl5
- Priority Resolution updates:
- Ephraim Z: Abolition priority will be hosting a 32-week reading group as a foundation for abolitionist texts. These texts are meant to be accessible and there’s no expectation that one will need to make every reading, and members are encouraged to join even if they don’t read the texts! lvds.org/events/abolitionreadinggroup
- Upcoming Events
- January’s calendar is full! Stewards and SC members pitched and promoted, see lvdsa.org/events
- WG Updates
- Mutual Aid: Rahman believes everything came together perfectly despite the ambitious programming and planning for food, music, etc, Justin N updates needs for Sunday Solidarity needs and wishlist,
- Business adjourning, moving to open comment period.