Reading Group: Policing & Prisons
Join us for a reading group and discussion on policing and prisons. Although much of the discussion will be based upon the materials listed below, it is not necessary to have read/listened to all of them ahead of time in order to engage in part of the discussion. Everyone is welcome to engage in the reading class and we encourage individuals to bring their own unique viewpoints to the discussion.
- “It’s Time to Abolish the Multi-Million Dollar Death Penalty and Reinvest in Nevada,” S. Alex Spelman, NV Independent, July 2020 (article) (est. reading time: 7 minutes)
- “The Abolitionist Horizon: Building a World Without Police or Prisons,” DSA Emerge, June 2020 (article) (est. reading time: 9 minutes)
- “The Economic Origins of Mass Incarceration,” John Clegg and Adaner Usami, Catalyst Fall 2019 (article) (est. reading time: 52 minutes)
- Main: “How Prison Abolition Would Make Us All safer, ” Paul Butler, (01:34:53, video)
- Optional: “News Brief: The Growing Pushback to Copaganda,” Citations Needed, (00:34:05, podcast)
About LVDSA's Education Committee
A good political education is vital in the fight for justice around the world. The Education committee works to be a valuable source for discussions about socialism’s history, its future, and how to continue building and growing our movement. This group is for everyone who wants to engage in comradely discussions and welcomes people of all levels of knowledge of socialism and politics.